20 Amazing Facts About Voting in the USA
I've seen this forward going around lately, but I managed to find a copy with some cited URLs. And remember: I'm posting this to start debate (I didn't write this, I don't know how did), so don't post comments saying I'm an idiot, as they will be deleted.
1. 80% of all votes in America are counted by only two companies: Diebold and ES&S. Link and Link.
2. There is no federal agency with regulatory authority or oversight of the U.S. voting machine industry. Link and Link
3. The vice-president of Diebold and the president of ES&S are brothers. Link and Link.
4. The chairman and CEO of Diebold is a major Bush campaign organizer and donor who wrote in 2003 that he was "committed to helping Ohio deliver its electoral votes to the president next year." Link and Link.
5. Republican Senator Chuck Hagel used to be chairman of ES&S. He became a senator based on votes counted by ES&S machines. Link and Link.
6. Republican Senator Chuck Hagel, long connected with the Bush family, was recently caught lying about his ownership of ES&S by the Senate Ethics Committee. Link, Link and Link.
7. Senator Chuck Hagel was on a short list of George W. Bush's vice-presidential candidates. Link and Link.
8. ES&S is the largest voting machine manufacturer in the U.S. and counts almost 60% of all U.S. votes. Link and Link.
9. Diebold's new touch screen voting machines have no paper trail of any votes. In other words, there is no way to verify that the data coming out of the machine is the same as what was legitimately put in by voters. Link and Link.
10. Diebold also makes ATMs, checkout scanners, and ticket machines, all of which log each transaction and can generate a paper trail. Link and Link.
11. Diebold is based in Ohio. Link.
12. Diebold employed 5 convicted felons as senior managers and developers to help write the central compiler computer code that counted 50% of the votes in 30 states. Link and Link.
13. Jeff Dean, Diebold's senior vice president and senior programmer on Diebold's central compiler code, was convicted of 23 counts of felony theft in the first degree. Link and Link.
14. Diebold senior vice president Jeff Dean was convicted of planting back doors in his software and using a "high degree of sophistication" to evade detection over a period of 2 years. Link and Link.
15. None of the international election observers were allowed in the polls in Ohio. Link and Link.
16. California banned the use of Diebold machines because the security was so bad. Despite Diebold's claims that the audit logs could not be hacked, a chimpanzee was able to do it! (See the movie here). Link and Link.
17. 30% of all U.S. votes are carried out on unverifiable touch screen voting machines with no paper trail. Link.
18. All--not some--but all the voting machine errors detected and reported in Florida went in favor of Bush or Republican candidates. Link, Link, Link, Link, and Link.
19. The governor of the state of Florida, Jeb Bush, is the President's brother. Link and Link.
20. Serious voting anomalies in Florida--again always favoring Bush--have been mathematically demonstrated and experts are recommending further investigation. Link, Link, Link, Link, Link and Link.