:: rss feed
:: bend blogs
:: cheap domains
:: welcome to
UtterlyBoring.com is produced by Jake Ortman (e-mail, resume), a 30-something-year-old dad, percussionist, sysadmin, Web developer, IT consultant and jack-of-all-trades geek, living in Bend, Oregon. He created this so that his expensive journalism and technology degree isn't getting totally wasted. In addition to editing this site in his free time, he is the communications manager at Weston Technologies. He has LinkedIn and Facebook profiles if you're trying to stalk him. He will not be posting on Twitter.
Opinions and comments on this site are the opinions of the author, not the author's employer, family, friends or pets.
This site is powered by Movable Type and is hosted by orty.com. Since December 1st, 2002, there have been 6475 entries. Visitors to this blog have posted 21314 comments.
If you're reading this, you have too much time on your hands.
Then these are for you -- it's geekdom link dump time:
- Removing the ATI Catalyst Control Center and NVIDIA Control Panel from right-click on desktop.
- Alternate firmware for Canon Powershot Cameras.
- Backup and restore drivers with Double Driver.
- Content-aware scaling in Photoshop.
- Advanced IMAP settings in Gmail.
- Embedding part of a YouTube video.
- Wikipedia moving 400 serves to Ubuntu from Red Hat.
- Dropbox as Ultimate Password Syncer.
- Comment Replies in MovableType 4.
- Instantly locate yourself on Google Maps.
- 20 Exceptional Websites for Learning Adobe Illustrator.
- Mobile Mozilla Browsers (this cannot be created fast enough for Windows Mobile phones, as pocket MSIE is worthless compared to the Webkit-based browsers on the iPhone and G1).
- Hiding data in a secret text file compartment.
- Domai.nr suggests web site addresses that make clever use of non-.com top level domains, subdomains, and folders, like del.icio.us, burri.to, or stop.spamming.us.
- Lessons Linux should learn from Windows and Mac.
- Free online PDF to MS Word Conversion.
- The one thing that every software engineer should know.
- The world's most dangerous programming blog.
- Keeping your laptop safe when travelling.
- Copying shell prompt output to Linux clipboard directly.
- Wall-mounted laptop with Synergy.
- The Web browser is the new laptop.
- Is your username taken?
- 14 Things To Do If You're Laid Off From A Tech Job.
- Starting Chrome in Incognito Mode.
- Deleting .svn files in Windows.
- Gmail Backup to backup your Gmail account.
- Installing Intel Pro Wireless 3945 on CentOS.
- Create MySQL backups with AutoMySQLBackup.
- Sounds of hard drives dying.
- Using WinAudit to create a hardware and software inventory.
- Google URLs for iPhone optimized sites.
- Create your own Enigma desktop.
- Turning your old scanner into a camera.
- Ditch your old email address.
- It's taken over 100 years, but Einstein was proven right.
- Find out if your Linux install supports 36-bit Physical Addressing.
- Can you really rent a coder?.
- Somebody has too much time on their hands: Google docs spreadsheet art.
- Get Windows 7's best features now.
- Ways to hide Google SearchWiki.
- Great CD and DVD burning tools.
- Looking for a version of linux that boots extremely fast and runs only a browser..
- Songbird hits 1.0.
- Customize cPanel's Apache Default Successful Install Pages.
- Why are PCs and Gadgets so slow?
- Comcast is now putting up a bandwidth meter for their capped 'net access.
- 50 Essential Skills Every Real Geek Should Have (I'm more than halfway there).
- Gmail and Outlook SMTP 0×800CCC7D Error.
- Script Kiddies have awesome tools.
- Various modes of Gmail.
- Impressive Blog Footers.
- Give us using CSS and use tables.
- Weirdness with MovableType and Image::Magick.
- How to: CSS Large Backgrounds.
- Visualizing Moore's Law.
- Looking Back: The Legend of Zelda.
- 25 Freeware OpenSource or Freeware alternatives to commercial software.
- LaptopVideo2Go, a site for NVIDIA graphics cards news and modified drivers (they always have the newest laptop drivers).
- 27 Handy Adobe Air Applications for Web Designers.
- 101 Most Essential iPhone Apps of 2008.
- The Grid System for Design.
- Amazing Dual screen (double monitor) wallpapers.
- Roger Russell, speaker wire guru.
- Advanced PHP tips to improve your programming.
- SQL Injection Cheat Sheet.
- Tips for Faster PHP Scripts.
- Proving the G1 can handle Multi-touch like the iPhone.
- Top 10 Things You Can Do With A DVD.
- Best Desktop Customization Tools.
- The World's Most Super-Designed Data Center (looks like it came from a James Bond flick).
- Bulk Rename Utility is a bit of a trick to use, but holy cow it's powerful.
What are you doing down here? Don't you have something better to do? Like Go Back To The Top of the page, or even see who created this site? This site is © 2001 - 2017 by the Utterly Boring folks at UtterlyBoring.com. Steal my content, as I probably did, too, just link to my site or the original site. Batteries not included. One size fits all. Not for off-road use. Not for internal use. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.