:: rss feed
:: bend blogs
:: cheap domains
:: welcome to
UtterlyBoring.com is produced by Jake Ortman (e-mail, resume), a 30-something-year-old dad, percussionist, sysadmin, Web developer, IT consultant and jack-of-all-trades geek, living in Bend, Oregon. He created this so that his expensive journalism and technology degree isn't getting totally wasted. In addition to editing this site in his free time, he is the communications manager at Weston Technologies. He has LinkedIn and Facebook profiles if you're trying to stalk him. He will not be posting on Twitter.
Opinions and comments on this site are the opinions of the author, not the author's employer, family, friends or pets.
This site is powered by Movable Type and is hosted by orty.com. Since December 1st, 2002, there have been 6475 entries. Visitors to this blog have posted 21321 comments.
If you're reading this, you have too much time on your hands.
Reading Material and Updates
Been slammed the last couple weeks working on personal projects, moving clients around from server to server (had one die last weekend), and doing the whole "attend every one of your kids function that you can" dad thing, and I've collected quite a few links here. On the bright side, I'm typing this all up on my new Sager 8150, still trying to get everything copied and setup from my other system, but boy is this thing fast.
Selection Sunday is today. Have you signed up for the NCAA Pick 'em? Why not?
OK, loads of links this time...
- TSA Nude Body Scanners Made Worthless by Blog -- How Anyone Can Get Anything Past The Scanners.
- normalize.css is a good alternative to a traditional CSS reset file.
- Splash Screens == sloth.
- Spider silk spun into violin strings. I'm sure those are nice and strong, as well as nice and expensive.
- A Texas Hold 'em Experiment: Ice Cold Decks.
- California removes all state funding for CA libraries (read the comment that's highlighted, as that's really what's worth the read).
- Call of Apathy: Violent Young Men and Our Place in War.
- The Camera Obscura project mapped the journey of a disposable camera that was left in the middle of a park with a note to take a picture, relocate, and leave it for the next person. The picture map is pretty fun.
- If you need to test in old versions of MSIE, Microsoft has virtual images that should make it easier.
- If you're looking to pretty-up your Facebook timeline, there are some great ideas here.
- Screw emoticons, Emojicons are so much better.
- Ideal City Design: Optimized by Transportation Layout.
- Social buttons done in CSS.
- This is why you should Google something.
- Awesome! YouTube and NBC Will Livestream the Entire Summer 2012 Olympics For Free.
- PHP vs Perl vs Python vs Ruby reference sheet.
- The world is ending, here's what you need to pack.
- Hacking Hacker News.
- Frightening mashup of Toy Story and the Shining: Toy Shining.
- Making a fast website. Google takes this stuff into consideration now, so it's important.
- NPR's goal is the truth in reporting, not the "he said, she said" crap.
- phpVirtualBox is a VirtualBox interface written in PHP.
- Postcards Then and Now has a bunch of old postcards from the early 20th century compared to Google Street View today.
- Redesigning the Windows logo.
- The US is spending $120 billion per year to hunt down 50-75 terrorists.
- For the Zelda fans: Saving Zelda.
- Square is just a slick product, especially now that it has cash register functionality.
- Stop paying the jQuery tax.
- Best tips for speeding up your Windows PC.
- Star Wars saga suggested viewing order (note: Episode 1 isn't even included, which I agree with).
- Apparently we don't even need SOPA if the government can pull crap like this.
- WTF QR Codes.
- HP releases iLO app for Android and iPhone (that's for the server geeks like me who have iLO on a couple servers).
- Ikea launches $86,000 flat-pack DIY home.
- Is antivirus software a waste of money?
- How OpenStreetMap handled Apple's unattributed switch.
No Comments Yet
Post a comment
What are you doing down here? Don't you have something better to do? Like Go Back To The Top of the page, or even see who created this site? This site is © 2001 - 2016 by the Utterly Boring folks at UtterlyBoring.com. Steal my content, as I probably did, too, just link to my site or the original site. Batteries not included. One size fits all. Not for off-road use. Not for internal use. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.