:: rss feed
:: bend blogs
:: cheap domains
:: welcome to
UtterlyBoring.com is produced by Jake Ortman (e-mail, resume), a 30-something-year-old dad, percussionist, sysadmin, Web developer, IT consultant and jack-of-all-trades geek, living in Bend, Oregon. He created this so that his expensive journalism and technology degree isn't getting totally wasted. In addition to editing this site in his free time, he is the communications manager at Weston Technologies. He has LinkedIn and Facebook profiles if you're trying to stalk him. He will not be posting on Twitter.
Opinions and comments on this site are the opinions of the author, not the author's employer, family, friends or pets.
This site is powered by Movable Type and is hosted by orty.com. Since December 1st, 2002, there have been 6474 entries. Visitors to this blog have posted 21287 comments.
If you're reading this, you have too much time on your hands.
Join The 2012 UtterlyBoring.com NCAA Tournament Pick 'em
Selection Sunday is
coming up on March 11 here and it's time for offices all over the country to create office pools for the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship (and for workplace productivity to grind to a halt). And it's time for the readers of this site to compete for bragging rights (and some great prizes) in the seventh-annual UtterlyBoring.com Tournament Pick 'Em. Last years contest info was here with final scoring here. TeamTopflite is looking to defend his title.
It's free to play, and doesn't require you to know anything about college basketball. So read on for the sign up information, prizes, and more!
Sign Up Info: Click here to get signed up in the group and start making your picks (the password is utterlyboring20). If that link doesn't work, go here, click on the "Join Group" link and use the following info:
Group ID#: 8106
(When you sign up, make sure you check "Yes" on the box that says "Allow others in group to see my email address?" as well as making sure you set your preferred e-mail address you want to be contacted at, should you win a prize.)
The group's page is here, which you can only see if you sign up and are signed into Yahoo. Daily results/graphs will be posted here.
Prizes: First off, here are the prizes we have so far. If any local business or individual wants to throw a prize into the pot -- for first or last or anywhere in between -- contact me and you'll receive a 125x125 pixel banner ad that will display here, on Bend Blogs and on Hack Bend and a link here, if you'd like). This list will be updated as we get them (updated on 3/8/12 with more goodies!):
That's all for now, be sure to bookmark http://utterlyboring.com/pickem for updates.
- Only one bracket per-person. While there are 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 ways a bracket could be broken down (when there was 64 teams), since we have a dead-last prizes, it wouldn't be fair to allow more than a bracket-per-person.
- The entire bracket must be filled out if you want to be eligible for the last-place prize.
- Prizes: Unless otherwise stated (I will ship smaller prizes), prizes must be picked up from prize providers in person, and prize providers are not eligible to win the prizes they provide (and I'm taking myself out of the running for any and all of the prizes, if I win/lose). Prizes may be added anytime during the tournament, so be sure to sign up.
- Scoring: I agree with Scott: Yahoo! puts far too many points into the final rounds. So we're customizing the default scoring a bit, using some of the numbers from the Fibonacci Sequence (because we're geeks here, after all). So here's how the scoring for correct picks goes:
That generally makes for a tighter race.
- Round 1: 1 pt
- Round 2: 2 pts
- Round 3: 3 pts
- Round 4: 5 pts
- Round 5: 8 pts
- Championship: 13 pts
- Tiebreakers: If there is a tie for any of the prizes, we'll follow this tie-breaker formula (and this doesn't break it, it goes to a coin-toss or some other equally random decision-maker):
- Tie-breaker #1 - Number of points scored in Round 6
- Tie-breaker #2 - Number of points scored in Round 5
- Tie-breaker #3 - Number of points scored in Round 4
- Tie-breaker #4 - Number of points scored in Round 3
- Tie-breaker #5 - Number of points scored in Round 2
- Tie-breaker #6 - Number of points scored in Round 1
- Tie-breaker #7 - Number of points scored in the various Play-in Games (if Yahoo! scores those or allows you to pick 'em -- still waiting to see how that's going to work)
- At the end of the tournament, the winner will have two weeks to claim his prize before it moves down the list to the next-place person (as I don't need more stuff collecting at my house). He or she can do so by e-mailing utterlyboring [at] gmail [dot] com from their Yahoo! account (as all Yahoo! accounts have an email address with email@example.com) or from their public Yahoo! profile address. I can not and will not be held responsible if the e-mail never gets to me because of spam filters, internet problems, or other acts beyond my control. If I don't get the email, you don't get the prize(s) -- Period. You reserve NO right to come back and gripe at me later and threaten legal action. I will also contact the winner via email if they have their e-mail address on the tournament page on Yahoo!'s site (either in their profile or posted in the tournament message board). If winner is unable to be reached 14-days after last day or tournament, the prizes will be awarded to next-highest scorer, repeating the process until somebody can be contacted. We will provide shipping of items, unless otherwise stated above, if you live in the United States -- international winners will have to foot the bill themselves.
- These rules are subject to change at any time. Jake Ortman has the final say on rules and prizes. UtterlyBoring.com, Jake Ortman, any prize-providers, or participants cannot and will not be held liable for anything in this contest, nor can Yahoo! Sports, prize providers, my family, pets or anybody else. Do not taunt happy fun ball. Batteries not included. Not for off-road use. You agree to these terms when you sign up! That being said, this is casual fun, so let's keep it that way.
Go get yourself signed up and good luck!
We are the leading the world in providing best actualtests gmat practice test dumps and certkiller prep solutions. Our incredible offers for pass4sure and testking practice asvab braindumps are accessible at reasonable prices; our selftestengine gre test dumps is very rare in IT world.
March Madness Is Here! from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/15/12 @ 09:29 AM:
We have 42 folks playing in this year's pick 'em. Good luck everybody, and I'll be posting scores here late tonight after the first day of games has concluded.... (Read More)
Day One Of The Pick 'em Is Over from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/15/12 @ 10:18 PM:
A few upsets today made it so we didn't have any body pick all the winners in the first round of the pick 'em today (unlike last year), but we... (Read More)
A Heap of Upsets Makes For A Bunch of Screwed Up Brackets from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/16/12 @ 10:05 PM:
With two different #2 seeds losing to #15 seeds and a #11, #12 and #13 seed all winning today, there are a load of screwed up brackets after the first... (Read More)
Day Three of the Pick 'em Is Over from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/17/12 @ 09:29 PM:
Things went mostly as predicted today in the 2012 Pick 'em, with the top seeds winning and folks who picked them getting two points each for their trouble. Things will... (Read More)
Half Of The Elite Eight Has Been Set from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/22/12 @ 10:39 PM:
The second weekend of the 2012 Pick 'em kicked off today with four of the elite eight teams being decided tonight. Which naturally means two of the four teams I... (Read More)
The Final Four Is Set! from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/25/12 @ 08:03 PM:
In all the years I've been running the pick 'em on this site, never have I been in contention to win the thing this late in the game. As it... (Read More)
Holy Cow, I'm Actually Winning My Pick 'em from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/31/12 @ 08:58 PM:
The Final Four is over, and I'm actually winning the 2012 UtterlyBoring.com Pick 'em, but it's still going to come down to the final game. If Kansas wins, I the... (Read More)
The 2012 Pick 'em Is Over, and BBall Magic Is Our Winner! from UtterlyBoring.com on 04/02/12 @ 09:08 PM:
First off, a big thank you to all of the prize providers for this year's pick 'em:Mug RevolutionPaizano's PizzaJake's DinerBrother Jon's Ale HouseHome Improvement ServicesBend Oregon Restaurants BlogThere'd be no... (Read More)
Dren Shares His Loser Shirt from UtterlyBoring.com on 08/15/12 @ 10:27 PM:
The Dren, the dude that lost our last Pick 'Em (third time he's done so -- see here and here) sent me a picture of the special shirt I made... (Read More)
No Comments Yet
Post a comment
What are you doing down here? Don't you have something better to do? Like Go Back To The Top of the page, or even see who created this site? This site is © 2001 - 2015 by the Utterly Boring folks at UtterlyBoring.com. Steal my content, as I probably did, too, just link to my site or the original site. Batteries not included. One size fits all. Not for off-road use. Not for internal use. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.