:: rss feed
:: bend blogs
:: cheap domains
:: welcome to
UtterlyBoring.com is produced by Jake Ortman (e-mail, resume), a 30-something-year-old dad, percussionist, sysadmin, Web developer, IT consultant and jack-of-all-trades geek, living in Bend, Oregon. He created this so that his expensive journalism and technology degree isn't getting totally wasted. In addition to editing this site in his free time, he is the service manager at Weston Technologies. He has LinkedIn and Facebook profiles if you're trying to stalk him. He will not be posting on Twitter.
Opinions and comments on this site are the opinions of the author, not the author's employer, family, friends or pets.
This site is powered by Movable Type and is hosted by orty.com. Since December 1st, 2002, there have been 6475 entries. Visitors to this blog have posted 21269 comments.
If you're reading this, you have too much time on your hands.
Just wanted to get these out of my way before I head out of town this weekend.
- Gamers solve molecular puzzle that baffled scientists.
- DIY Portable Wedding Photo Booth (looking at this for another project, non-wedding related).
- Ken Jennings is awesome, and you can help him write his new book.
- Frozen solid, but this hard drive still works.
- Why You Should Not Go To Medical School.
- What good developers should know about sending e-mail.
- Some ways you can earn money in your sleep.
- Inside the World's Largest Embassy (here's a hint: It's in Iraq).
- An amazing nine-year journey of a rookie artist.
- Google and SolarCity work to make Solar Power Affordable.
- Zach Braff answers your questions.
- Woot CEO Matt Rutledge starts a new business, Netflix/Qwikster-style.
- If you do mobile development at all, this table of HTML5 support in mobile browsers will need to be bookmarked.
- Looking to make an Android phone a little more "old blind grandma"-friendly? BIG Launcher might be just the ticket.
- This is a really handy script to automate a lot of computer repair and clean-up tasks.
- Need map icons? Here you go.
- Use the Internet to investigate your next date, coworker, or friend, without being creepy.
- Seven-year-olds say the darndest things.
- Is anybody else see the same type of things in the most popular infographics.
- The 21 Greatest SEO Myths of the Modern World.
- Create a state of chaos in your town.
- Updated list of Microsoft's Best Free Downloads (lots of good tools on there).
- Need to inventory all your DVDs and such? This app might help, allowing yuo to scan everything with your phone to a separate program.
- Everything is better when it's said in llama.
- Google Wallet, hacked to run on more phones.
- 10 Ways to Turn Your Retired Gadgets into something useful.
- ColorBox is another lightbox plugin for jQuery, but this one is really lightweight compared to others out there (which is why I'm going to use it on some projects).
- Did you know you could hyphenate in Firefox and Safari? Me neither. Here's a way to do it on other browsers.
- Interesting discussion on using font-embedded icons instead of sprites.
- Tabpress looks like a simple way to create custom tabs on your Facebook page. Will be trying it out on my day-job pages.
- Worried about somebody stealing your PS3? Setup a dummy PS3 with a GPS tracker.
- I've been going through all my ripped DVDs and trying to remove duplicate audio tracks (as I mistakenly had a stereo track plus an AC3/multi-channel track). MKVToolnix (specifically, the mkvmerge program) and Yamb have been able to simple take care of my MKV and MP4 files (respectively) and knock some bits of space off the sizes of those files.
No Comments Yet
Post a comment
What are you doing down here? Don't you have something better to do? Like Go Back To The Top of the page, or even see who created this site? This site is © 2001 - 2014 by the Utterly Boring folks at UtterlyBoring.com. Steal my content, as I probably did, too, just link to my site or the original site. Batteries not included. One size fits all. Not for off-road use. Not for internal use. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.