:: rss feed
:: bend blogs
:: cheap domains
:: welcome to
UtterlyBoring.com is produced by Jake Ortman (e-mail, resume), a 30-something-year-old dad, percussionist, sysadmin, Web developer, IT consultant and jack-of-all-trades geek, living in Bend, Oregon. He created this so that his expensive journalism and technology degree isn't getting totally wasted. In addition to editing this site in his free time, he is the communications manager at Weston Technologies. He has LinkedIn and Facebook profiles if you're trying to stalk him. He will not be posting on Twitter.
Opinions and comments on this site are the opinions of the author, not the author's employer, family, friends or pets.
This site is powered by Movable Type and is hosted by orty.com. Since December 1st, 2002, there have been 6475 entries. Visitors to this blog have posted 21314 comments.
If you're reading this, you have too much time on your hands.
Join The UtterlyBoring.com NCAA Tournament Pick 'em (Fifth Annual, 2010 Edition)
Selection Sunday is
coming up on March 14 here and then it's time for offices all over the country to create office pools for the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship (and for workplace productivity to grind to a halt). And it's time for the readers of this site to compete for bragging rights (and some great prizes) in the fifth-annual UtterlyBoring.com Tournament Pick 'Em. Last years contest info was here with final scoring here. My brother is looking to defend his title.
It's free to play, so read on for the sign up information, prizes, and more!
Sign Up Info: Click here to get signed up in the group and start making your picks. If that link doesn't work, go here, click on the "Join Group" link and use the following info:
Group ID#: 2409
(When you sign up, make sure you check "Yes" on the box that says "Allow others in group to see my email address?" as well as making sure you set your preferred e-mail address you want to be contacted at, should you win a prize.)
The group's page is here, which I think you can only see if you sign up. Daily results/graphs will be posted here
Prizes: First off, here are the prizes we have so far (and if any local business or individual wants to throw a prize into the pot -- for first or last or anywhere in between -- contact me and you'll receive a 125x125 pixel ad and a link here, if you'd like):
That's all for now, be sure to bookmark http://utterlyboring.com/pickem for updates.
- Only one bracket per-person. While there are 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 ways a bracket could be broken down, since we have a dead-last prize this year, it wouldn't be fair to allow more than a bracket-per-person.
- The entire bracket must be filled out if you want to be eligible for the last-place prize.
- Prizes: Unless otherwise stated (I will ship smaller prizes), prizes must be picked up from prize providers in person, and prize providers are not eligible to win the prizes they provide (and I'm taking myself out of the running for any and all of the prizes, if I win/lose). Prizes may be added anytime during the tournament, so be sure to sign up.
- Scoring: I agree with Scott: Yahoo! puts far too many points into the final rounds. So we're customizing the default scoring a bit, using some of the numbers from the Fibonacci Sequence (because we're geeks here, after all). So here's how the scoring for correct picks goes:
That generally makes for a tighter race.
- Round 1: 1 pt
- Round 2: 2 pts
- Round 3: 3 pts
- Round 4: 5 pts
- Round 5: 8 pts
- Championship: 13 pts
- Tiebreakers: If there is a tie for any of the prizes, we'll follow this tie-breaker formula (and this doesn't break it, it goes to a coin-toss or some other equally random decision-maker):
- Tie-breaker #1 - Number of points scored in Round 6
- Tie-breaker #2 - Number of points scored in Round 5
- Tie-breaker #3 - Number of points scored in Round 4
- Tie-breaker #4 - Number of points scored in Round 3
- Tie-breaker #5 - Number of points scored in Round 2
- Tie-breaker #6 - Number of points scored in Round 1
- At the end of the tournament, the winner will have two weeks to claim his prize before it moves down the list to the next-place person (as I don't need more stuff collecting at my house). He or she can do so by e-mailing utterlyboring [at] gmail [dot] com from their Yahoo! account (as all Yahoo! accounts have an email address with email@example.com) or from their public Yahoo! profile address. I can not and will not be held responsible if the e-mail never gets to me because of spam filters, internet problems, or other acts beyond my control. If I don't get the email, you don't get the prize(s) -- Period. You reserve NO right to come back and gripe at me later and threaten legal action. I will also contact the winner via email if they have their e-mail address on the tournament page on Yahoo!'s site (either in their profile or posted in the tournament message board). If winner is unable to be reached 14-days after last day or tournament, the prizes will be awarded to next-highest scorer, repeating the process until somebody can be contacted. We will provide shipping of items, unless otherwise stated above, if you live in the United States -- international winners will have to foot the bill themselves.
- These rules are subject to change at any time. Jake Ortman has the final say on rules and prizes. UtterlyBoring.com, Jake Ortman, any prize-providers, or participants cannot and will not be held liable for anything in this contest, nor can Yahoo! Sports, prize providers, my family, pets or anybody else. Do not taunt happy fun ball. Batteries not included. Not for off-road use. You agree to these terms when you sign up! That being said, this is casual fun, so let's keep it that way.
Go get yourself signed up and good luck!
Updated on 03/01/10 with additional 3rd Place Prizes.
Updated on 03/14/10 with clearer sign-up instructions, now that brackets are open.
Updated on 03/17/10 with additional 2nd Place Prizes.
Nearly A Perfect First Day In The Pick 'em from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/18/10 @ 11:04 PM:
We have our largest pool of folks ever in the pick 'em this year, even after thining off some of the folks who didn't fill out their brackets. Through the... (Read More)
I Never Saw This Coming from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/19/10 @ 11:10 PM:
So somehow after the first round of the pick 'em, I'm in a tie for the lead with yesterday's leader Canadian Invader "Andrew". However, just a single point behind are... (Read More)
Back To Reality from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/20/10 @ 08:29 PM:
Things can sure change in a day. I went from first to 10th in the pick 'em, and it's probably only going to get worse, since two of my Final... (Read More)
The First Weekend Of The Pick 'em Is Over from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/21/10 @ 09:21 PM:
The first two rounds of the pick 'em are over, the spreadsheet's been updated, and this tournament could still be won by anybody. I'm right back in the middle of... (Read More)
Scoring Will Be Posted Tomorrow Morning from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/25/10 @ 09:28 PM:
The late game of the pick 'em is running late. As I type this, Xavier and Kansas State are in the second overtime, very well could go to a third.... (Read More)
The Sweet Sixteen Is Over from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/26/10 @ 09:55 PM:
Round Three of the 2010 pick 'em is over, with "Club ED" and "winner winner chicken dinner" tied for the lead, with "Capitan Jack & his Torchwood" just a couple... (Read More)
The Final Four Is Set from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/28/10 @ 10:04 PM:
But the pick 'em is far from over. I think. Really, since I can't get the frickin' scenario generator on Yahoo!'s site to actually load, I have no idea how... (Read More)
The Pick 'em Is Over (Basically) from UtterlyBoring.com on 04/03/10 @ 09:22 PM:
While a few places can still move around, the top three places in the pick 'em have been finalized (today's spreadsheet is here):First Place:: The winner of the Baker City... (Read More)
The Pick 'em Is Now (Officially) Over from UtterlyBoring.com on 04/05/10 @ 11:17 PM:
While things were pretty much wrapped up on Saturday in the pick 'em, final places could move up and down depending on whether Duke won tonight or not. They did... (Read More)
UtterlyBoring.com In Tibet from UtterlyBoring.com on 05/10/10 @ 04:12 PM:
Kyle was loser of the latest UtterlyBoring.com NCAA Pick 'em, and in what has become a tradition among the losers he sent pictures of him wearing the shirt to some... (Read More)
Join The UtterlyBoring.com/CentralOregonAthlete.com NCAA Tournament Pick 'em from UtterlyBoring.com on 02/28/11 @ 08:30 PM:
Selection Sunday is coming up on March 13 and then it's time for offices all over the country to create office pools for the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship (and for... (Read More)
What are you doing down here? Don't you have something better to do? Like Go Back To The Top of the page, or even see who created this site? This site is © 2001 - 2017 by the Utterly Boring folks at UtterlyBoring.com. Steal my content, as I probably did, too, just link to my site or the original site. Batteries not included. One size fits all. Not for off-road use. Not for internal use. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.