:: rss feed
:: bend blogs
:: cheap domains
:: welcome to
UtterlyBoring.com is produced by Jake Ortman (e-mail, resume), a 30-something-year-old dad, percussionist, sysadmin, Web developer, IT consultant and jack-of-all-trades geek, living in Bend, Oregon. He created this so that his expensive journalism and technology degree isn't getting totally wasted. In addition to editing this site in his free time, he is the communications manager at Weston Technologies. He has LinkedIn and Facebook profiles if you're trying to stalk him. He will not be posting on Twitter.
Opinions and comments on this site are the opinions of the author, not the author's employer, family, friends or pets.
This site is powered by Movable Type and is hosted by orty.com. Since December 1st, 2002, there have been 6476 entries. Visitors to this blog have posted 21314 comments.
If you're reading this, you have too much time on your hands.
Join The UtterlyBoring.com NCAA Tournament Pick 'em (2008 Edition)
Selection Sunday is coming up on March 16 and then it's time for offices all over the country to create office pools for the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship. And it's time for the readers of this site to compete for bragging rights (and a few cool prizes) in the annual UtterlyBoring.com Tournament Pick 'Em. Last years contest info was here with final results here with Scott's Mad Dribblerz taking the top prizes.
Sign Up Info: While the field for the tournament hasn't been set yet, you can still get signed up in the group and be notified when the field has been set and you can start making your picks (usually about an hour or so after the picks have been announced). Sign up here or if that link doesn't work, go here, click on the "Join Group" link and use the following info:
Group ID#: 450
The group's page is here, which I think you can only see if you sign up.
Prizes: First off, here are the prizes we have so far (and if any local business or individual wants to throw a prize into the pot -- for first or last or anywhere in between -- contact me and you'll receive credit and a link here, if you'd like):
- First Place: Meals for two (breakfast, lunch, or dinner, as it's all served all day), plus a copy of a couple books: Worst Case Scenario Survival Handbook and John Daly's My Life In And Out of The Rough (The Truth Behind the Bull**** You Think You Know About Me) from Lyle at Jake's Diner here in Bend. Plus (added on 3/20): A XXXL (that's extra-extra-extra-large) lightweight University of Oregon jacket, made by Nike. It's a couple different shades of green with yellow trim. It's got a small Oregon "O" and Nike swoosh on the front and it says "Oregon" across the back. It's a nice little jacket, I think it's used, but looks brand new, but it's frickin' huge -- like tent huge. Thanks to Larry at Discover Sunriver for that.
- Second Place: A baseball cap, stickers, and a women's fitted t-shirt (size large) from Paizano's Pizza over in Baker City (plus a free Large Specialty Pizza if you live within driving distance).
- Last Place (Yes, you read that right, see below for rules): You get a t-shirt from the UtterlyBoring.com shop that you can show off to all your friends your inability to pick winners. Wear it with pride.
That's all for now, so get yourself signed up and good luck!
- Only one bracket per-person this year. While there are 18,446,744,073,709,551,616 ways a bracket could be broken down, since we have a dead-last prize this year, it wouldn't be fair to allow more than a bracket-per-person.
- The entire bracket must be filled out if you want to be eligible for the last-place prize.
- Prizes: Unless otherwise stated, prizes must be picked up from prize providers in person, and prize providers are not eligible to win the prizes they provide (and I'm taking myself out of the running for any and all of the prizes, if I win/lose). Prizes may be added anytime during the tournament, so be sure to sign up.
- Scoring: Since I agree with Scott, Yahoo! puts far too much points into the final rounds, so we're customizing the default scoring a bit, using some of the numbers from the Fibonacci Sequence. So this is how Yahoo! scored it last year:
...we're going to do it this way this year:
- Round 1: 1 pt
- Round 2: 2 pts
- Round 3: 4 pts
- Round 4: 8 pts
- Round 5: 16 pts
- Championship: 32 pts
That should make for a tighter race this year.
- Round 1: 1 pt
- Round 2: 2 pts
- Round 3: 3 pts
- Round 4: 5 pts
- Round 5: 8 pts
- Championship: 13 pts
- These rules are subject to change, I'm the final say on everything, UtterlyBoring.com cannot and will not be held liable for anything, nor can Yahoo Sports, prize providers, my family, hamster or anybody else. Do not taunt happy fun ball. Batteries not included. Not for off-road use.
May cause oily discharge. This is casual fun, folks -- let's keep it that way.
Just In Case You Hadn't Heard... from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/14/08 @ 11:19 PM:
...a woman was stuck to the toilet seat for two years. Yes, I read this a few days ago (thanks to the dozens of folks who sent it my way),... (Read More)
Holy Crap: Oregon Made The NCAA Tournament from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/16/08 @ 03:42 PM:
I didn't think they'd do it, but they actually managed a 9 seed and will play Mississippi State in the first round of the South bracket. North Carolina (East), Memphis... (Read More)
Last Chance To Fill Out Your NCAA Bracket from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/19/08 @ 10:19 AM:
The NCAA Basketball tournament starts in earnest tomorrow, so today's the last chance to fill out your bracket and potentially win some stuff (and I'm always looking for more prizes... (Read More)
Let's Get Ready To Rumble! from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/20/08 @ 09:52 AM:
The field in the pick' em has been set, and we have 32 players and brackets filled out for the games that started a few minutes ago. We also have... (Read More)
NCAA Tournament Pick 'em Day 2 Results from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/21/08 @ 11:04 PM:
There were some good upsets today, and we have a new leader in the pick 'em. Fighting Yoopers has taken the lead, having picked 26 of the last 32 games... (Read More)
NCAA Tournament Pick 'em Round 2 Day 1 Scoring from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/22/08 @ 09:36 PM:
It's the third day of the pick 'em and we now have a four-way tie at the top with eight folks within two points of the lead. It's close, but... (Read More)
The First Weekend Is Over... from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/23/08 @ 08:32 PM:
...and it appears we have a three-way tie for first place in the pick 'em. Things should start seperating a bit more next week as the games start getting higher... (Read More)
NCAA Pick 'em Round 3 Day 1 from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/27/08 @ 09:59 PM:
We have a new leader in the pick 'em: Rusty in Portland. He's been at the top or close the top the entire time, but there are a couple folks... (Read More)
Yahoo!'s Bonkered from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/29/08 @ 09:01 PM:
The day 1, round 4 games ended earlier, but Yahoo! didn't updated the scoring yet in the pick 'em. I'll check again tomorrow morning and update the spreadsheet then..... (Read More)
For The First Time Ever, Four Number One Seeds in the Final Four from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/30/08 @ 09:51 PM:
And it's making for an interesting final weekend in the pick 'em. As it stands right now, Rusty In Portland is leading, but after crunching the numbers, there are six... (Read More)
Eggar Wins The UtterlyBoring.com '08 NCAA Pick 'em from UtterlyBoring.com on 04/05/08 @ 09:40 PM:
While there's still one more game in the NCAA Tournament, the 2008 Pick 'em has a winner. Eggar came back from fourth place last week and picked both of today's... (Read More)
The NCAA Tournament Is Over from UtterlyBoring.com on 04/07/08 @ 11:02 PM:
We already knew that Eggar won and yoopers lost the pick 'em but we didn't know who would take home 2nd place. After picking Kansas to win, Shadow Bird won... (Read More)
UtterlyBoring.com at Wrigley Field from UtterlyBoring.com on 05/12/08 @ 10:24 AM:
Remember for the dummy prize for the pick 'em? Fighting Yoopers won the prize, but never claimed it, and per the rules, I gave the prizes to the next people... (Read More)
Getting Organized For The NCAA Tourney Pick 'em, Looking For Prizes from UtterlyBoring.com on 02/25/09 @ 12:15 PM:
I'm working on getting things setup for our annual pick 'em, and am looking for prize contributions. It's a casual tournament, and prize contributors cannot win their own prize (but... (Read More)
Join The UtterlyBoring.com NCAA Tournament Pick 'em (2009 Edition) from UtterlyBoring.com on 03/03/09 @ 11:36 PM:
Selection Sunday is coming up on March 15 and then it's time for offices all over the country to create office pools for the NCAA Men's Basketball Championship (and for... (Read More)
Two-Time UtterlyBoring.com Pick 'em Loser At The Pool from UtterlyBoring.com on 08/19/09 @ 05:03 PM:
So in the 2008 NCAA pick 'em, The Dren lost and proudly displayed his loser shirt at Wrigley Field. He again lost this year's pick 'em, but forgot to bring... (Read More)
Looking For Prize Donations for The Annual Pick 'em from UtterlyBoring.com on 01/27/10 @ 09:59 PM:
The NCAA March Madness pick 'em has been a tradition around these parts for quite a while, and this year will be the fifth year we do it. You can... (Read More)
What are you doing down here? Don't you have something better to do? Like Go Back To The Top of the page, or even see who created this site? This site is © 2001 - 2019 by the Utterly Boring folks at UtterlyBoring.com. Steal my content, as I probably did, too, just link to my site or the original site. Batteries not included. One size fits all. Not for off-road use. Not for internal use. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.