:: rss feed
:: bend blogs
:: cheap domains
:: welcome to
UtterlyBoring.com is produced by Jake Ortman (e-mail, resume), a 30-something-year-old dad, percussionist, sysadmin, Web developer, IT consultant and jack-of-all-trades geek, living in Bend, Oregon. He created this so that his expensive journalism and technology degree isn't getting totally wasted. In addition to editing this site in his free time, he is the communications manager at Weston Technologies. He has LinkedIn and Facebook profiles if you're trying to stalk him. He will not be posting on Twitter.
Opinions and comments on this site are the opinions of the author, not the author's employer, family, friends or pets.
This site is powered by Movable Type and is hosted by orty.com. Since December 1st, 2002, there have been 6476 entries. Visitors to this blog have posted 21314 comments.
If you're reading this, you have too much time on your hands.
Random cPanel Link Dump
As I've mentioned before, I use cPanel on my Web server. I've posted links before for using clamavmodule in Mailscanner, completely removing boxtrapper, among a few other things.
So here are a few other cPanel-related items that I needed to have bookmarked and documented for future reference. (after the jump, as it's long and pointless for most people here):
That's all for now.
- Remember the e-mail trouble I had last week? Basically what caused it was a Perl 5.8.8 upgrade that completely hosed the Mailscanner install I got from these guys. The upgrade was installed by cPanel's techs as part of the cPanel 11 update, and it totally hosed things. Thankfully, the configserver.com folks helped me out, and gave me a list of the required libraries that needed to be reinstalled.
So if you're seeing items like this in your /var/log/maillog file:
Jun 20 23:22:01 sparks MailScanner: MailScanner E-Mail Virus Scanner version 4.60.8 starting...You need run these commands on the command line to get the libraries back you need:
Jun 20 23:22:02 sparks MailScanner: Config: calling custom init function MailWatchLogging
Jun 20 23:22:02 sparks MailScanner: Started SQL Logging child
Jun 20 23:22:02 sparks MailScanner: WARNING: You are trying to use the SpamAssassin cache but your DBI and/or DBD::SQLite Perl modules are not properly installed!
Jun 20 23:22:03 sparks MailScanner: ClamAV Perl module not found, did you install it?
/scripts/perlinstaller --force Scalar::Util
/scripts/perlinstaller --force Compress::Raw::Zlib Net::CIDR Archive::Zip
/scripts/perlinstaller --force Compress::Zlib Convert::BinHex Inline::C Time::HiRes Digest::SHA1
/scripts/perlinstaller --force IO::Zlib Net::IP
/scripts/perlinstaller --force Mail::ClamAV
And then you need to reinstall MailScanner using the directions here which I'm going to copy here for future reference:
- Remove any previous versions before downloading:
rm -fv msinstall.tar.gz
rm -Rfv msinstall/
- Run the following commands from the root shell:
tar -xzf msinstall.tar.gz
Select option 1 to upgrade
- Check that MailScanner has restarted OK:
tail -f /var/log/maillog
- Download the latest stable ClamAV distribution from http://www.clamav.net
- Expand the distribution and cd into the resultant directory and build ClamAV using:
tar -xzf clamav-*
replace "Example" "#Example" -- /usr/local/etc/freshclam.conf
replace "Example" "#Example" -- /usr/local/etc/clamd.conf
- Run freshclam to download the latest definitions:
- If you're using the clamavmodule, check you have the latest version installed:
/scripts/perlinstaller --force Mail::ClamAV
- Then restart MailScanner with:service MailScanner restart
- Speaking of that fateful Perl upgrade, it also hosed my ImageMagick installation, so I had to reinstall that as well. Here's how I did it:
First remove any old RPM installations
rpm -qa | grep -i Magick
rpm -e anything that pops up.
Go to your favourite install directory (/usr/src) whatever
tar xvzf ImageMagick.tar.gz
cd into the new folder (current version is ImageMagick-6.3.3)
Configure it with whatever crazy stuff you need:
./configure --enable-shared --with-modules --without-x --with-gs-font-dir=default --with-perl=yes --with-xml=yes --with-zlib=yes --with-jpeg=yes
make && make install
From the folder you are in:
- If you haven't upgraded to cPanel 11 yet, read this checklist first to make sure all your ducks are in a row first.
- Here's a handy server cloning method.
- If you want a simple script to install a bunch of great scripts and hardens your server, this is really handy (direct download).
- List of cPanel/Mailscanner/Exim Tweaks.
- Tightening down zone transfers in cPanel.
What are you doing down here? Don't you have something better to do? Like Go Back To The Top of the page, or even see who created this site? This site is © 2001 - 2019 by the Utterly Boring folks at UtterlyBoring.com. Steal my content, as I probably did, too, just link to my site or the original site. Batteries not included. One size fits all. Not for off-road use. Not for internal use. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.