Utterly Boring dot com

What's up with the Ortmans

OK, it's been a while since I've updated everybody on what's going on in the family life, so read on if you're interested in that sort of thing.

So what's up with me? Well, my back problems still persist. I've been trying to work out the pain/pinch/whatever with drugs and excercise, but I'm not working it out very well, and with the baby problems (see below) it's been hard to work out when you're utterly exhausted from lack of sleep. I can't afford to see a back specialist to get decent x-rays, nor can I even afford to get the pain medication that makes the day tollerable.

So I mentioned baby problems: Well, our un-potty-trained-nearly-four-year-old (stubborn little thing -- and we've tried everything, so it's up to her at this point) got her self a bladder infection. Since kids this young aren't supposed to get them, she had to have a kidney ultra-sound and a visit with a urologist to make sure everything was OK. This was after trying to get a urine sample out of her. It wasn't until after the doctor showed her the alternative (catheter) did she realize "Hey, peeing in a bag taped to me isn't such a bad idea." Regardless, we'll owe about $750, all told, after all the various doctor visits. Thankfully, just once more month (in theory) until I have health insurance.

Luckily Michelle is still covered under the Oregon Health Plan, so when we took her to the doctor because she wasn't sleeping at all, wasn't eating very well, and was having really bad cramps, we at least didn't have to worry about paying for it. Regardless, so far the indications are leaning towards food allergies. First, we tried eliminating milk/dairy/whey from Lydia's diet (since she's breast feeding). You'd be amazed how much food has milk products in it (pretty much 70% of our regular diet). That helped a bit, but the baby was still having really bad cramping and not sleeping well. So the doctors said to try eliminating wheat. Great -- there's the other 30%. So we're in the process of eliminating that. If that doesn't work, they're going to try giving the baby Zantac, which they don't like to give, but will if they have to (as it may just be a case of really bad acid reflux).

Lydia's doing fine -- other than losing sleep, losing her ability to eat, losing her sanity, she's doing fine.

Really.

At least that's what I keep telling myself ;-)

What sucks is that it's her birthday on the 8th, and I can't afford to buy her anything. And our anniversary is on the 30th, and the same problem arises. Yes, I know, you can do a lot without spending a lot, but anything that requires time and effort is something I can't do right now -- neither one of us can.

Things at work are doing well. I've done a pile of front-end and back-end upgrades to the company site, and am in the process of doing some designs for a few companies (as well as a redesign of my band's site). Of course, finding time to do all of it will be impossible, but I'll find it -- when the kids are all up and moved out of the house :-)

OK, you've made it this far, I might as well finish up with a joke....let's dig around in my junk mail folder....

Three friends die in a car crash, and they find themselves at the Gates of Heaven. Before entering, they are each asked a question by St. Peter himself "When you are in your casket and friends and family are mourning upon you, what would you like to hear them say about you?" asks St. Peter. The first guy says, "I would like to hear them say that I was a great doctor and a great family man." The second guy says, "I would like to hear that I was a wonderful husband and school teacher who made a huge difference in our children." The last guy replies. "I would like to hear them say.... LOOK!!! HE'S MOVING!!!!!"

Posted by Jake on 10/05/03 @ 05:55 PM
Posted in Jake | Permalink



What are you doing down here? Don't you have something better to do? Like Go Back To The Top of the page, or even see who created this site? This site is © 2001 - 2017 by the Utterly Boring folks at UtterlyBoring.com. Steal my content, as I probably did, too, just link to my site or the original site. Batteries not included. One size fits all. Not for off-road use. Not for internal use. Do not taunt Happy Fun Ball.