The Monday Mission
Just for kicks, I'm going to try this week's Monday Mission (after already done a Friday Five once). Got the idea from Neil's site, so I figured I'd give it a whirl.
1. When was the last time you were in the hospital as a patient? As a visitor?
I actually go to the hospital quite a bit. My mom works in the Emergency Room/Department (ER) at St. Charles Medical Center, and I basically grew up with the girls in the ER. Last time I was there as a patient was when I had surgery on my foot years ago to fix some problems in my foot.
2. Have you ever been put under anesthesia or sedation? For what reason? Did it mess with your mind?
It didn't mess with my mind, but I was put to sleep when I had that foot surgery mentioned above. It could've been done without it, but I didn't want to be awake when the pounded and drilled on my foot.
3. Have you (or someone close to you) ever had any major surgery? How did it go?
Probably the most major surgury I had was when I had a hernia removed when I was about 3 years old. I don't even remember it, but I have the scar to prove it. All I remember was it was discovered when I was coughing really bad because of all the ash that came into Central Oregon from the Mt. St. Helens eruption. If I remember correctly, I think I was actually in the hospital on my third birthday.
4. How about the emergency room? Have you ever had to be taken there, or had to accompany someone else? What happened?
I've had to take my daughter there, and my wife (when she was my girlfriend) there. Have kids...your trips there will double :) Like I said before, I go there quite a bit to see my mom, and went there as a patient, most as a convience thing: When I was a kid, we just went there because it was actually cheaper to see the doctors there because my mom worked there. I did have to be admitted myself one time. I ran a race in Redmond in 1994. It was a 15K race, start time at 6:00PM. I got really sick during the race (it was 104-degrees, with no shade), and had to drop out. Well, the folks that picked me up blew it way out of proportion. It was the first race I had dropped out of in my life, and I was a bit sad, and started to cry. They thought I was even worse, so they rushed me to the ER in Redmond. They doused me in cold water, thinking I was hot, but that made me cold. I was actually just a bit pissed about the whole thing, and just needed to be taken to the finish line.
5. Have you ever donated blood (or other fluids)?
6. Are you an Organ Donor? How do you feel about having your organs being donated to those in need once you die? Have you or someone you know ever been the recipient of donated organs?
Nope, and I'm really not for or against it, I just choose not to do it myself.
7. Do you know any men who refuse, or are too afraid, to go to see a Doctor? Why are so many men like that?
I don't refuse to see the doctor, I just can't afford to see the doctor. There's a difference :-)